Lentil and Potato Curry
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) garam masala
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth or water
- 4 cups (1 litre) potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 can 14 oz (398 ml) coconut milk (regular or light)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown the onion in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and garam masala and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the cilantro and bring to boil. Simmer gently, uncovered, for about 35 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Adjust the seasoning. Serve over basmati rice and garnish with cilantro.
You can replace the coconut milk with 398 mL (14 oz) of diced tomatoes. However, you will need to add about 125 ml (1/2 cup) of water.