Quick and Easy Bolognese
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 lb (225 g) lean ground pork
- 1 can 5 1/2 oz (156 ml) tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) 35% cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a skillet or saucepan, gently cook the vegetables in the oil for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add the meat and brown over high heat, stirring until well browned and crumbled. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste, pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Add the cream and cheese. Heat through while stirring. Add water, as needed if the sauce is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
- Add the pasta and toss to combine.
For 4 servings, cook about 375 g (¾ lb) of pasta, of your choice.