Ethné de Vienne’s Caribbean Turkey with Green Seasoning
- 5 green onions, cut into chunks
- 1 cup (250 ml) celery leaves
- 1 small bunch blessed thistle
- 1 Hungarian pepper, seeded and chopped
- Habanero pepper, seeded and chopped, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) thyme, fresh or dried
- 2 Caribbean bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 fresh turkey, about 9 to 11 lbs (4 to 5 kg)
- 1 lemon or lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- In a blender, purée all the ingredients. Add a little water, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash the turkey under cold running water and pat dry.
- Vigorously rub the inside and outside of the turkey with the lemon wedges. Place the lemon peels in the turkey.
- With your fingers, gently loosen the skin from the breast and thighs of the turkey, without tearing it. With 500 ml (2 cups) of the seasoning, coat the turkey and spread evenly under the skin. Place the turkey in a large glass dish or large sealable plastic bag. Cover the dish or seal the bag. Refrigerate for 12 to 72 hours.
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 350 °C (180 °F).
- In a roasting pan, place the turkey, breast side up, and drizzle with the oil. Bake, basting with the cooking juices every half hour, for 3 to 4 hours or until the meat thermometer inserted into the thigh without touching the bone, reads 82 °C (180 °F). Let rest for about 15 minutes without covering with aluminum foil.
The Green Seasoning will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator and can be frozen.