- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 3/4 lb (375 g) ground pork
- 3/4 lb (375 g) ground beef
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) chili powder
- 2.5 (1/2 teaspoon) ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) Cayenne pepper, or more
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bottle 341 ml beer, of your choice
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can 19 oz (540 ml) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cocoa powder
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet with high sides or large saucepan, brown the onion with the peppers in the oil. Add the meat and spices and continue cooking until the meat is golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze with the beer and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Adjust the seasoning. Serve with rice, over nachos, in chilidogs, or in the Three-Cheese Potato Skins.
Hot dogs topped with chili, or chilidogs, is are popular in the U.S., especially in states where the Mexican population is very important (California, Texas, etc..). Most of the time, this garnish-style chili doesn’t contain any beans.