Cream of Celery and Spinach Soup
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken broth
- 4 cups (1 litre) chopped celery
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups (1 litre) fresh spinach, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, soften the onion and garlic in the butter.
- Add the broth, celery, and potato and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a blender, purée the soup until smooth with the spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Strain, if desired.
For lunch Heat the cream of celery soup and bring it in a thermos. This soup can be eaten cold in the summertime. Ricardo often serves it as a hors d&rsquooeuvre in espresso cups.
Serve with toasted bread and cheese, or with a sandwich.