Barley Stew with Saffron
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 cup (250 ml) pearl barley
- 1 can 19 oz (540 ml) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) red or yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, soften the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the oil with the paprika and saffron. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the barley, chickpeas, and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for about 50 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed and the barley is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and peas. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
If desired, serve the barley stew with pan-fried or steamed salmon steaks, grilled scallops or grilled skinless chicken breast. Shrimp goes very well with this dish but are less advised for people who have high cholesterol.