- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground turmeric
- 2 slices fresh ginger, about 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) thick
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) parboiled long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Zante currants
- 1 tablespoons (15 ml) sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, gently heat the turmeric, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon stick in the butter for about 1 minute. Add the rice and coat thoroughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir. Cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove the ginger slices and spices. Adjust the seasoning.
Yellow rice, also called geelrys, is a traditional South African side dish. It is often served with bobotie.