Spaghetti Sauce with Ribs
- The meat of five mild or hot Italian sausages (675 g / 1 1/2 lb, approximately)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, sweet or plain, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can 5 1/2 oz (156 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cans 28 oz (796 ml) plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 cans 24 oz (680 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef broth
- 2 lb (1 kg) baby back ribs, cut into two or three sections
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, brown the sausage meat in the oil, crumbling it with a wooden spoon. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same saucepan, soften the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Add oil, if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute over high heat.
- Place the sausage back in the saucepan and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan regularly, for about 3 hours and 30 minutes or until the rib meat falls easily from the bone.
- Remove the ribs from the sauce and let cool on a plate. Remove the bones from the ribs and put the meat back in the sauce. Adjust the seasoning. Let cool and freeze.
Slow cooker If you have a slow cooker with a 6-quart (5.6-litre) capacity, you can cook the sauce at low temperature for 8 hours, leaving out the broth. For a smaller slow cooker, about 4-quarts (3.8-litres) cut the recipe by half. The cooking time will be approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes.