- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) crushed cooked lobster shells (see note)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in the oil for about 3 minutes. Add the lobster shells and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine and reduce by half. Add the tomato, peppercorns, bay leaf, and clove. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer very gently, uncovered, for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Pass through a fine sieve or through a sieve lines with several layers of cheesecloth. Let cool, then refrigerate or freeze.
Rinse the lobster carcass before crushing.