Creamy Celery Salad
- 2 cups (500 ml) frozen shelled soybeans (edamame, see note)
- 4 cups (1 litre) chopped celery
- 1 Granny Smith apple, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh chopped chives
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) 10% plain or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan of salted boiling water or in a steaming pot, cook the soybeans for 4 minutes. Cool them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and drain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the soybeans with the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve. This salad is delicious with grilled chicken or shrimp.
Edamame is a fresh soybean most often consumed in Japan. It is mainly found in the frozen organic section of some supermarkets. It has a fairly neutral flavour and a texture similar to a white bean. It is rich in protein and iron.