- 14 servings
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) olive oil
- 4 small eggplants, diced
- 3 cups (750 ml) fresh loaf breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) breadcrumbs
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 60 ml (1/4 cup) of oil. Sear the eggplants until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir frequently and add oil, if needed.
- Lightly soak the bread with a little milk. Squeeze the bread with your hands. In a bowl, combine the bread, eggplants, and the remaining ingredients, except for the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Shape into 12 to 14 croquettes. If the mixture is too wet, add 15 to 30 ml (1 to 2 tablespoons) of breadcrumbs to give it more body. Coat the croquettes with the breadcrumbs and shake off any excess.
- Oil the bottom of a baking dish with the remaining oil. Place the croquettes. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Let cool. Garnish with fresh basil.
- You can serve the croquettes as a side dish or as an appetizer between two tomato slices drizzled with olive oil.