Black Bean Vegetarian Chili
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) paprika
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 cans 19 oz (540 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) peanuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, brown the onions in the oil. Add the bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño, and spices and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn and peanuts and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning.
If you want to serve this chili with cornbread, see our recipe.