Berbere Spiced Chicken
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cracked black pepper
Berber Spice Mixture
- 1 chicken, about 3 lbs (1.4 kg), cut into 8 pieces (see note)
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) whole tomatoes, drained
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 225 °C (425 °F).
Berbere Spice Mixture
- In a small skillet over high heat, sauté all the spices for about 30 seconds or until they begin to brown. Immediately pour into a roasting pan to stop the cooking.
- In the roasting pan, add the chicken, onions, carrots, rutabaga, potatoes, and oil and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and roast for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked. Stir halfway through cooking. If desired, serve with couscous.
To make even more savings, choose chicken legs or thighs.