Chicken and Barley Soup
- ¾ lb (340 g) boneless, skinless chicken, cut into cubes (thighs or breasts)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 3/4 cup (155 g) pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a pot, brown the chicken in the butter. Add the vegetables and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth, water and barley. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender. Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.