- 6 cups (1.5 litres) cold water
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen strawberries, halved
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring 250 ml (1 cup) of water to a boil with the strawberries and sugar and stir. Cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and keep the strawberries for another use (see note). Let cool and refrigerate the strawberry syrup for about 2 hours or until completely chilled.
- When ready to serve, pour the strawberry syrup into a pitcher. Add the remaining water and the lemon juice. Serve with ice cubes.
For a strawberry-rhubarb lemonade, prepare the syrup with 250 ml (1 cup) of strawberries and 250 ml (1 cup) of chopped rhubarb. You can use remaining syrup strawberries to serve over ice cream or toast.