Slow Cooker Asian-Style Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ketchup
- 2 lbs (1 kg) stewing beef cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- In a slow cooker, combine the cornstarch with the soy sauce and ketchup. Add the remaining ingredients except for the squash and bell pepper. Season with pepper. Stir and top with the squash.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Add the bell pepper and combine.
- Serve with rice.