Slow Cooker Maple and Beer-Braised Ham
- 1 smoked shoulder ham, bone-in, about 6 1/2 lbs (3 kg)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Dijon mustard
- 3 or 4 cloves
- 1 bottle 341ml pale ale
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) maple syrup
- Remove the mesh from the ham, if applicable. Place the ham in the slow cooker. Baste with the mustard and prick with the cloves.
- Add the beer and maple syrup. Cover with cold water, up to 5-cm (2-inches) from the rim of the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or until the ham is fork-tender. You can turn the ham halfway through cooking.
- Remove the ham from the slow cooker and slice thinly or break into pieces. Keep the cooking juices (about 2.25 litres rest / 9 cups) to cook whole potatoes, if desired.
This recipe is from Ricardo’s book "La mijoteuse – de la lasagne à la crème brûlée"