- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked sushi rice (see recipe)
- 2 sheets seaweed nori
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) masago
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded and cut into thin julienne
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Japanese mayonnaise
- 4 to 6 imitation crab sticks (Pollock)
- 1/2 avocado, cut into thin wedges
- 4 large sticks Japanese omelet (tamagoyaki) (see recipe)
- Soy sauce
- For each roll, spread about 125 ml (1/2 cup) of rice on the matte side of the nori, up to about 2-cm (3/4-po) from the edge of the narrow side, working with moistened fingers. Spread a thin layer of masago in the centre of the sheet. Lightly moisten countertop. Flip sheet to place rice side down.
- Place half of the julienned cucumber on the upper third of the sheet letting it hang out on each side. Spread 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of mayonnaise in the centre of the sheet. Add two crab sticks, half the avocado and two omelet sticks. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Roll tightly starting from the rice-less side of the nori. Compress roll with a bamboo mat, applying a uniform pressure. Dip the tip of a knife in water and cut roll into ten pieces. Place on a serving platter. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Genevieve Everell.