Warm Beet Salad with Bacon and Green Beans
- 6 medium red or yellow beets, unpeeled
- 1 thick slice bacon, about 1/2-inch (1-cm) thick, cut into small pieces (about 115 g / 1/4 lb)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 lb (225 g) green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Place beets in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 1 hour or until beets are tender. Drain and place in cold water. Peel and cut each beet into 8 wedges. Place on a large serving platter.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown bacon in 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of oil until crisp. Drain a little fat. Add green beans and mix thoroughly. Scatter beans and bacon over beets.
- In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar and remaining olive oil. Drizzle over salad. Adjust seasoning. Serve with a pork roast, warm or cold.
Even if we continue to love sliced bacon, our test kitchen staff loves working with bacon slabs. A thick piece of bacon that you cut the way you want. It is also very inexpensive. If you can’t find a bacon slab, just use regular sliced bacon.