Caramel Yule Log
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) caramel sauce (recipe above)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 11/2 cups (375 ml) 35% cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) icing sugar
- 11/2 cups (375 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) 35% cream
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) icing sugar
- In a saucepan, bring sugar, water and corn syrup to a boil. Cook without stirring until mixture turns golden brown. Remove from heat and gradually add cream. Beware of splattering. Bring to a boil and simmer until smooth. Off the heat, add butter and stir until melted. Let cool to room temperature.
- In another saucepan, melt caramel sauce (30 ml/2 tablespoons) with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of butter. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
- Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap directly over mixture and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Add sugar, remaining butter (150 ml/2/3 cup) and beat with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes or until buttercream is smooth and creamy. Set aside at room temperature.
- In another bowl, whip cream and icing sugar until it forms stiff peaks. Refrigerate.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a 43 x 30-cm (17 x 12-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper, letting it hang over both sides. Generously butter and flour paper and sides. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs with 125 ml (½ cup) of sugar until it forms a ribbon, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a third bowl, whip cream with remaining sugar (60 ml/¼ cup) until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture. With a spatula, gently fold in whipped cream. Evenly spread batter on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Place a parchment paper over a wire rack. Sprinkle with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of icing sugar. Right out of the oven, sprinkle the top of the cake with remaining icing sugar (15 ml/1 tablespoon) before flipping it over parchment paper. Leave the baking sheet over cake to retain its moisture. Let cool completely at room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet and parchment paper. Cut off cake edges to straighten cake. Spread whipped cream evenly over cake. Roll cake from the short side. Do not worry if cake has a tendency to crack. Place on a serving dish. Cover with caramel buttercream. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
Caramel sauce can be made several days in advance. Keep in the refrigerator and warm it up in the microwave to make it more fluid to prepare log (do not pour in hot over log). The log will keep for two days in the refrigerator (without caramel sauce), but it is better the same day.