Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mustard and Bacon
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 6 cups (720 g) Brussels sprouts, halved
- ¾ cup (180 ml) chicken broth (or apple juice)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) whole-grain mustard
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the bacon in the oil. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. Keep the rendered fat in the skillet.
- In the same skillet, brown the Brussels sprouts in the rendered fat. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with the broth and mustard. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the sprouts are tender and the broth has evaporated. Adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon onto a serving platter and sprinkle with the bacon.
Sprinkle with crushed toasted pecans or almonds, if desired.