Sweet Potato and Roasted Onion Soup
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 6 cups (900 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (2 to 3 potatoes)
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) chicken broth
- 16 small pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 8 thin slices pancetta
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sour cream
- 3 tbsp roasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- In a large pot, soften the onions and garlic in the oil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a blender, purée the soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with the toppings or let cool and freeze in sealable containers or bags.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small skillet, lightly brown the onions in the oil. Transfer onto the baking sheet.
- Place the pancetta slices on the same baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the pancetta is crispy and the onions are tender.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with the onions, sour cream, pecans, chives and a piece of pancetta.
For a simpler version, only garnish your soup with pecans, chives and sour cream. To give the extra oomph to this simple soup, add the roasted onions and crispy pancetta.