- ¼ cup (50 g) corn kernels
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the corn kernels, coat with oil and cover with the lid. Over medium heat, pop the corn, shaking the pot constantly. The popcorn is ready when the kernels stop bursting. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt the butter. Off the heat, stir in the spices. Drizzle the seasoned butter over the popcorn and toss to coat well. Spread the popcorn on the prepared sheet.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the popcorn has completely absorbed the butter, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Serve or spoon into one or more sealable containers. This popcorn keeps for about 2 weeks in a cool, dry place.
To make this recipe with readymade or microwavable popcorn, omit the salt, as they are usually already salted.