Janette Bertrand’s Party Chicken Curry
- 5 or 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 2 green apples, diced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) curry powder
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) flour
- 1 large carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ketchup
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) cardamom
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) ground cloves
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) 35% heavy cream (optional)
- Poach the chicken breasts in simmering water for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the apples and onions for 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the flour and cook for 5 minutes, which is 15 minutes in total.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the chicken, and slowly reduce over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the cinnamon stick. In a food processor, purée the sauce. Return the sauce to the pot.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and place in the sauce. Add the cream if desired. Serve in the centre of the table with basmati rice. Around these two dishes, place trays of pistachios, sliced bananas, mango chutney, toasted or plain coconut, cashews, chopped figs, chopped prunes, etc.
This recipe is adapted from Janette Bertrand’s book "Les recettes de Janette".