White Bean and Grilled Shrimp Salad
- 8 thin slices pancetta, mild or spicy
- 1 lb (454 g) peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 cans (14 oz each/398 ml) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Espelette pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C ). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pancetta on the baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, place the shrimp. Toss with the paprika and 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a ridged skillet (see note), grill the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the beans, cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, vinegar, garlic, Espelette pepper and the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crush the pancetta. Add to the beans along with the warm shrimp. Serve immediately.
If you don’t have a ridged skillet, you can use a non-stick skillet for cooking the shrimp.