Root Vegetable Shavings Soup
- 3 parsnips, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh ginger
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, sliced on the bias
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the parsnips and carrots down to the core to obtain about 750 ml (3 cups) of shavings of each.
- In a saucepan, bring the broth, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and Tabasco sauce to a boil. Add the onion and shavings. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour the hot soup into 4 warm bowls. Garnish with green onion and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.