Vegetable and Shrimp Pasta
- 3 bell peppers of various colours, seeded and cubed
- 2 onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 lb (225 g) white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3/4 lb (340 g) medium asparagus, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 4 oz (115 g) fusilli or penne
- 3/4 lb (340 g) peeled frozen raw shrimp, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (11 g) fresh basil leaves or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On the baking sheet, toss the peppers, onions and mushrooms with half the oil (1 tbsp). Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 to 7 more minutes or until al dente. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta al dente. Drain and lightly oil. Set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes in the remaining oil (1 tbsp), until the shrimp are cooked. Add the green onions and cook for about 1 minute. Add the broth, lemon juice and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta. Toss well. Add half the cooked vegetables and toss again. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the pasta among 4 serving bowls. Top with the remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with the basil leaves and lemon zest.
Cooking vegetables on a baking sheet isn’t just convenient; it gives them a slightly roasted flavour that we love.