- In a baking dish or sealable plastic bag, combine the chicken, lime juice, ginger, garlic and salt. Let marinate for 10 minutes. Add the Spiced Yogurt Marinade and coat the chicken thoroughly.
- Cover the dish or seal the bag and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, with the oven rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the chicken and marinade on the baking sheet. Drizzle the melted butter onto the chicken. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, lightly brown the onion, garlic, chili pepper, cinnamon and bay leaves in the butter. Add the spices and continue cooking for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, water and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes have completely softened. Add the cooked chicken and the cream. With the lid off, continue to cook for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce is very thick. Add the finely crushed cashews if desired. Adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice and naan bread.
Clarified butter or ready-to-use ghee can be purchased in most grocery stores. You can also prepare it at home. In a saucepan, melt 1 lb of butter and simmer for at least 20 minutes, skimming regularly. Pour the butter into a strainer; the remaining liquid is the ghee. It can be stored for several months in the refrigerator. Unlike traditional melted butter, ghee does not burn.