- 2 cups (200 g) cauliflower cut into very small florets
- 10 oz (284 g) pearl onions, peeled (see note)
- 1 cup (160 g) pickling cucumbers (gherkins) or garden cucumbers, finely diced
- ½ cup (60 g) green beans cut into ¼-inch (5 mm) pieces
- 1 apple, diced
- 3 tbsp (30 g) pickling salt
- 1 tbsp dried mustard
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (40 g) sugar
- In a bowl, combine the cauliflower, onions, cucumbers, beans, apple and pickling salt. Cover with water and let marinate for 1 hour at room temperature. Drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare the jars and lids in boiling water.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the spices, ginger, garlic and chili pepper in the oil.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in ¼ cup (60 ml) of the vinegar. Pour into the saucepan with the spices and cook while stirring for a few seconds or until the mixture thickens.
- Transfer the drained vegetables to the saucepan and combine with the remaining vinegar (1 cup/250 ml), the water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes over low heat or until the vegetables are tender, stirring a few times.
- Spoon the piccalilli into the hot jars, leaving 1 inch (2.5 cm) of space at the top. Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic utensil and wipe the rim of the jar with a clean cloth.
- Centre the lids (discs) on the jars and screw the rings down until the point of resistance, then tighten another eighth-turn, without forcing.
- Place the jars upright on the canning rack in the pot of hot water. Make sure the jars are covered by at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Process for 15 minutes from the moment the water starts to boil.
- Remove the jars from the water.
To make peeling the onions easier, plunge them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and transfer to a large bowl of ice water. Drain and peel.