Potato, Leek and Corn Soup
- 1 medium leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 lb (454 g) new potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 cup (140 g) fresh or frozen and thawed corn kernels
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 lb (115 g) bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 medium leek, green part only, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (20 g) arugula (see note)
- In a pot over medium heat, soften the leek in the butter. Add the turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and white wine. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and honey and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bacon until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate. Keep the melted fat in the skillet
- In the same skillet, soften the leek. Add the arugula and cook until just wilted.
- Pour the soup into bowls. Garnish with the bacon and the leek mixture.
If they’re in season, you can substitute the arugula for dandelion greens.