Pear and Mortadella Sandwiches
- 1 soft baguette-style bread, halved lengthwise
- Dijon mustard, to taste
- Olive oil, to taste
- 5 oz (150 g) sliced mortadella or baked ham (see note)
- 1 ripe but firm pear, thinly sliced (see note)
- 7 oz (225 g) bocconcini, drained and sliced (about 4 pieces each)
- Butcher’s twine
- Spread the inside of the baguette with mustard. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Garnish the bottom half with the mortadella, pear and bocconcini.
- Close the sandwich. Wrap twine around the baguette at approximately 1 ½-inch (4 cm) intervals to make 10 small sandwiches. Slice the bread between the pieces of twine.
If you’re making the sandwiches the day before, it’s best to choose a pear that browns less quickly, like the Asian pear, which is also very crunchy.