Lime and Ginger Oysters
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lime juice
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 24 oysters, shucked
- 2 finger limes, pulp only, broken into small pieces (optional) (see note)
Lime and Ginger Mignonette
- In a bowl, combine the shallots, oil, lime juice, ginger and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon about ½ tsp of the mixture onto each oyster according to its size. Garnish with finger lime pulp, if desired. Serve immediately.
Also known as “citrus caviar,” the finger lime owes its names, respectively, to its pulp, which resembles fish eggs, and to its small size and elongated finger-like shape. To make a tartare version of this recipe, chop oysters and combine them with the lime and ginger mignonette. Serve the mixture in shells, wonton spoons or shot glasses.