- 2 whole chickens, about 3 lb (1.4 kg) each
- 8 onions, peeled and halved
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 275°F (135°C).
- In a Dutch oven or large pot with an ovenproof lid, place the chickens side by side. Place two onion halves in the cavity of each chicken and place the remaining onions around the chickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake for about 4 hours or until the cooking juices begin to caramelize and the chicken is fork-tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green peas if desired.
Once cooled, your chicken stock will turn to jelly and can be added to a sauce or soup.