Bourbon Shrimp Sandwiches
- 6 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup (57 g) butter
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ lb (675 g) medium-sized shrimp (31/40), shelled and deveined
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) harissa paste
- ½ tsp mild paprika
- ¼ cup (60 ml) bourbon or whisky
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 4 kaiser rolls
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, soften the green onions in the butter. Add the jalapeno and shrimp, and continue cooking for about 2 minutes or until the shrimp is pink. Add the tomato paste, harissa paste and paprika. Stir until the shrimp is completely coated.
- Deglaze with the bourbon and wine. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside (see note).
- In a second non-stick skillet over high heat, cook the bell pepper and the onion in the oil until al dente. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the buns and spread with mayonnaise. Divide the shrimp between the sandwiches and drizzle with the sauce. Top with the vegetable mixture and close the sandwiches.
You can turn these shrimp into a great little appetizer by skewering them with decorative toothpicks.