Gruyère and Vacherin Cheese Fondue
- 4 cups (375 g) grated Gruyère cheese
- 4 cups (375 g) grated Vacherin cheese
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup (250 ml) Riesling, Chasselas or other dry white wine
- 1 loaf country bread or baguette, cubed
- In a bowl, combine the cheeses and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Off the heat, rub the inside of a fondue pot with the garlic, leaving it in the pot, if desired. Add the cheese mixture and wine.
- On the stovetop over medium heat, melt the cheese mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk until smooth (see note).
- Place over the fondue pot burner. Serve immediately with the bread cubes.
If desired, add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of kirsch once the cheese has melted. Continue cooking for 1 minute.