Gruyère and Mushroom Fondue
- 1 oz (30 g) dried morel mushrooms, rinsed and drained
- 1 ¼ cups (310 ml) Riesling, Chasselas or other dry white wine
- 8 cups (750 g) grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 loaf country bread or baguette, cubed
- In a bowl, rehydrate the morels in the wine for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve the wine. Thinly slice the morels. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cheese and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Off the heat, rub the inside of a fondue pot with the garlic, leaving it in the pot, if desired. Add the cheese mixture and wine.
- On the stovetop over medium heat, melt the cheese mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk until smooth. Stir in the mushrooms (see note).
- Place over the fondue pot burner. Serve immediately with the bread cubes.
If desired, add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of kirsch, along with the mushrooms, once the cheese has melted. Continue cooking for 1 minute.