Sweet Potato, Shrimp and Avocado Toasts
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick slices
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 16 large frozen shrimp (16-20), thawed (see note)
- 2 very ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 4 slices whole wheat country bread, toasted
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, torn
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet. Oil lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan of salted cold water, add the shrimp. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 minute. Drain. Peel and halve the shrimp lengthwise.
- Place the flesh of an avocado half on each slice of bread and crush with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle each toast with a bit of lime juice.
- Top each toast with the sweet potatoes and shrimp. Garnish with the herbs and jalapeno. Serve with lime wedges.
Save time and use precooked shrimp, if desired.