Slow Cooker Pork and Apple Stuffing
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (455 g) boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and diced
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) white wine
- 1 1/2 lb (675 g) lean ground pork
- 1 Cortland apple, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 16 saltine crackers, finely crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over high heat, soften the onions and garlic in the oil. Add the diced pork and cook until the meat is lightly browned. Deglaze with the wine. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the ground pork, apple, bay leaves and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours. It can be maintained on Warm for 4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves. Add the crackers. With a potato masher, crush and shred the meat. Adjust the seasoning.
Alternatively, this recipe can be made in the oven: In a large ovenproof skillet, follow step 1 without transferring to a slow cooker. Add the ingredients from step 2 into the skillet along with 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of chicken broth. Cover and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350°F (180°C). Uncover, remove the bay leaves and add 8 crumbled crackers. Add broth, if needed.