Coal-Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese
- 4 similar-sized red or yellow beets
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 oz (60 g) goat cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Place each unpeeled beets in the centre of a double-layer square of aluminum foil. Drizzle with a little olive oil and add a sprig of oregano and a clove of garlic. Wrap each beet tightly.
- Place in the centre of red-hot coals and cover with coals. Roast for about 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the centre of a beet pierces easily.
- Remove the beets from the coals and peel; the skins will come off easily if the beets are cooked through. Cut into slices and arrange on a plate. Sprinkle with the goat cheese, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
You can also cook the beets on the grill over medium heat. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the beets.