Carrot Greens and Lentil Soup
- 3/4 lb (340 g) carrots, peeled (see note)
- 1 1/2 lb (100 g) carrot greens, rinsed clean and patted dry
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (100 g) dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- On a work surface, cut the carrots into thin slices and finely chop the carrot greens. Set them aside separately.
- In a large pot over medium heat, soften the onion and garlic in the oil. Add the carrot slices and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth and lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Add the chopped carrot greens and cook for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
For this recipe we used an entire bunch of carrots, including the greens. If carrot greens are unavailable, use finely chopped parsley or lettuce.