Hot Chocolate with Melted Marshmallows
- 4 oz (115 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- Several homemade or artisanal marshmallows (see note)
- In a small saucepan off the heat, whisk together the dry ingredients, then whisk in the milk.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Pour into mugs. Top with marshmallows and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds to melt, if desired. With a small kitchen torch, quickly caramelize the melted marshmallows.
We find that homemade and artisanal marshmallows melt much better than commercial ones, and we love the creaminess they add to this hot chocolate.