Seared Trout and Zucchini Salad with Pumpkin Seeds
- 4 zucchini, cut into thick spirals or julienned
- 1 1/2 cups (130 g) thinly sliced Savoy cabbage
- 1/4 cup (30 g) roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) mirin
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 lb (675 g) skinless trout fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 avocados, sliced and lightly drizzled with lemon juice
- Store-bought sriracha mayonnaise, as desired (see note)
- In a bowl, toss the zucchini, cabbage and 3 tbsp (25 g) of the pumpkin seeds with the mirin and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the fish in the oil for 5 minutes or until the desired doneness, flipping halfway through cooking. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the zucchini salad with the trout and avocado slices. Drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise and sprinkle with the remaining pumpkin seeds.
Make your own sriracha mayonnaise by mixing 1/2 cup (125 ml) of mayonnaise with 2 tsp (10 ml) of sriracha sauce. To create a zig-zag drizzle effect, fill a small sealable bag with the mayonnaise, snip off the tip of one corner, and squeeze.