Pasta with Sausage and Zucchini Spirals
- 3/4 lb (340 g) short spiral pasta (see note)
- 1 lb (450 g) mild Italian sausage meat
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 zucchini, cut into thick spirals
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup (20 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (10 g) basil leaves, torn
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Set aside 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the cooking water. Drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage meat in the oil, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the zucchini, garlic and pepper flakes. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the zucchini is al dente.
- Add the tomato, cooked pasta and reserved cooking water. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Sprinkle with the cheese and basil.
We love vesuvio pasta, spiral pasta named after Mount Vesuvius. If unavailable, opt for fusilli.