Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf (The Best)
- 1 3/4 cups (265 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) sugar
- 3 lemons, zest finely grated
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 1 cup (130 g) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 4 x 10-inch (10 x 25 cm), 6-cup (1.5 litre) loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, letting it hang over two sides.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream the butter, sugar and zest with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients alternately with the lemon juice and milk. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack before unmoulding.
- In a bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Place the lemon poppy seed loaf on a serving platter and drizzle with the glaze.
Poppy seeds contain oil, so they can definitely spoil. If you can’t recall when you bought them, toss them.