Red Candy Apples
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups (315 g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) red liquid food colouring
- 6 small Honeycrisp apples, each with a wooden stick inserted into its centre
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, bring the water, corn syrup and sugar to a boil. Let boil, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 310°F (154°C).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the food colouring. Watch out for splattering.
- Tilt the saucepan slightly and dip the apples into the syrup one at a time, turning to coat. Let any excess syrup drip off. If the syrup thickens in the saucepan, gently reheat until fluid. Place the apples on the baking sheet and let cool completely at room temperature.
The candy apples will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.