- 1 cup (150 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (90 g) cornmeal
- 1 tsp Cajun spices (see note)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups (120 g) panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 lb (340 g) okra, trimmed and sliced into 3/4-inch (2 cm) rounds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and spices. Pour the buttermilk into a second shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, place the panko.
- Toss the okra in the flour mixture with your hands, shaking off any excess. Dip them in the buttermilk, then place them in the panko and turn to coat.
- Fry in batches for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden. Watch out for splattering. Drain on the paper towels and salt to taste.
There are several Cajun spice mixes on the market. You can find them in select grocery stores, or make your own blend by mixing 1 tbsp sweet paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp celery salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper.