Orzo with Shrimp and Chorizo
- 1 2/3 cups (340 g) orzo
- 1 lb (450 g) rapini or broccoli, cut into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ lb (340 g) small raw shrimp (91-110), shelled and deveined
- ¾ cup (140 g) chorizo sausage, cut into small diced
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the orzo for 8 minutes. Add the rapini and cook 1 minute longer. Set aside ½ cup (125 ml) of the cooking water. Drain and lightly oil.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet over high heat, soften the shallot in the butter. Add the shrimp and chorizo. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the orzo and rapini to the skillet. Add the reserved pasta cooking water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add the lemon zest and juice. Adjust the seasoning.
By using small shrimp instead of large (16-20) shrimp, we were able to keep this recipe down to 3$ per portion.