Peach and Lemon Balm Kir
- 1 peach, pitted and quartered, or 2/3 cup (95 g) frozen peaches, thawed
- 1/4 cup (55 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 cups (500 ml) sparkling white wine or Champagne
- 4 small sprigs lemon balm or verbena
- In a small pot, bring all the ingredients to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Let cool, then refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely chilled.
- Strain through a fine sieve, but don’t press down to keep the liquid as clear as possible. The peach syrup will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 10 days.
- Fill four Champagne flutes with the sparkling wine. Add 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) of the peach syrup. Garnish each glass with a sprig of lemon balm.
This recipe was inspired by RinQuinQuin à la Pêche, a liqueur made locally in Provence that blends peaches, white wine, alcohol and cane sugar. A Kir Royale is a French aperitif that combines Champagne with crème de cassis. Our kir cocktail is a happy marriage of these two French specialties.