Stewed Beef with Mushrooms and Wheat Berries
- 2.2 lb (1 kg) boneless beef blade roast, fat removed, cubed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth
- 1 lb (450 g) whole white mushrooms
- 1 cup (200 g) wheat berries
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In an ovenproof pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, brown half of the meat cubes at a time in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pot, soften the onion in the rendered fat. Add the reserved meat, broth, mushrooms and wheat berries. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven. Uncover and continue cooking on the stovetop over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half.
Wheat berries can be found in certain supermarkets and natural food stores.