Pressure Cooker Braised Beef with Fresh Herb Salad
- 2.5 lb (1.1 kg) boneless beef blade roast, excess fat trimmed and cut into 6 equal pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 cups (750 ml) low sodium beef broth
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about 2 inches (5 cm) long, sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, about 4 inches (10 cm) long, cut into 3
- 2 red bird’s eye chili peppers
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup (23 g) cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (10 g) Thai basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (10 g) mint, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red bird’s eye chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
- Lime wedges, for serving
Fresh Herb Salad
- In a pressure cooker over high heat, brown the beef pieces in the oil on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil while stirring. Return the meat to the pressure cooker.
- Close the cooker and bring it to pressure. Reduce the temperature to medium (or just enough to maintain pressure) and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and let the pressure release. You can speed up the process by running the cooker under cold water. If using an electric cooker, press the valve to release the steam before opening.
- Open the pressure cooker. Remove the meat and set aside on a plate. Pass the sauce through a sieve set over a skillet. Discard the aromatics. Over high heat, reduce the sauce until it thickens, about 10 minutes. Return the meat to the sauce and toss to coat.
Fresh Herb Salad
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the lime wedges.
- Serve the braised beef topped with the salad. Garnish with lime wedges and serve with rice, if desired.
Instead of using a pressure cooker, the meat can be cooked in a covered pot in the oven at 325°F (165°C) for 3 hours.